Friday 9 October 2015

Hotel Transylvania

It's time for another review. And this time it's in a new format. The movie I am reviewing is Hotel Transylvania. Seems like good timing since the sequel is coming out soon. Small side note there will be some spoilers in the "Plot" section of the review. Let's get started.












Characters: The main characters are Dracula, his daughter Mavis, and Jonathan the human. Dracula is basically every over protective dad character ever. But he is kind of funny. Mavis is sort of boring but they aren't terrible. And Jonathan is actually really annoying and totally X-Treme..... With an X for some reason. The side characters like the the Wolfman, Frankenstein, the hotel workers and the hotel guests are actually pretty funny. Jonathan sort of kills the movie for me. But the other characters are pretty good.





Animation: The animation is the best part of the movie for me. Every character stands out and some of the backgrounds have cool details in it. I also like some of the chase scenes in the movie. Of course the animation might me a bit too cartoonish for some people but personally I really like it. So in my opinion this is one of the aspects of the movie.









Music: There are several songs in this movie and I didn't like any of them. The first one felt like it was written ten minuets before recording. The second one had some very painful product placement for Doritos. The one after that was just mindless shouting that I couldn't even understand. And the last one was the worst pop song I have ever heard in a movie. So if your watching this on DVD you might want to skip the songs.





Plot: The first half of the movie is pretty good. We see how the hotel works and that is actually pretty cool. The plot actually starts when Jonathan enters and he and Mavis fall in love. I get annoyed by Jonathan but it's okay so far. But in final act of the movie is where things get really cliché. We have Jonathan leaving but then he comes back....Gee, didn't see that coming. And towards the end they say the word "Zing" a million times and now I never want to hear that word again. So overall the first two halves of the movie are better than the last





Final thoughts: For me Hotel Transylvania is a very mixed bag. Some jokes work but some are just forced. Some characters I like but others are really bad. The animation great.. Would I watch it again? Probably. Will I go see the sequel? Yes. In the end Hotel Transylvania isn't a bad movie.... But it isn't great either. So I half recommended. This has been another instalment of Keaton on Films.

No comments:

Post a Comment