Friday 24 January 2014

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial

It's pretty strait forward, I said I would review it in my last review so here you go. Also it's a classic so that factors in too. Oh and I got request for it so that also factors in. Let's start.







The movie starts with some aliens landing in a forest to collect flower samples. But some government agents come and the aliens leave but one alien (Pat Welsh) is left behind(by the way I noticed that Pat Welsh is not credited as E.T. which is odd seeing as E.T. is the title character). Meanwhile in a regular home, a boy named Elliot (Henry Thomas) is trying to hang out with his older brother Micheal (Robert MacNaughton) and his friends. Elliot is coming back from picking up a pizza. He notices something in the shed. E.T leaves and Elliot's family doesn't believe that he saw an alien. So Elliot leads E.T. to his room with a trail of Reese's Pieces (p-p-p-product placement).
 


The next day Elliot fakes being sick so he can look after E.T. but Ellio'ts brother Micheal and sister Gertie (Drew Barrymore) discover E.T. and they ask where he is from. E.T. tells them by levitating some balls to represent a solar system. Now I never got this next scene. Elliot is at school the next day; his class is going to dissect some frogs then he sets them free while E.T. is at home watching "The Quiet Man" and Elliot and this girl are mimicking whats happening in "The Quiet Man". Again never got the scene..is it symbolic? Is it metaphoric? I think it's a psychic connection but the movie is not very clear. Moving on. E.T. learns to speak with the help of Gertie. When Elliot gets home E.T. tells him...well time for an iconic movie quote "E.T. phone home". So Elliot and E.T. build a communication device so E.T. can go home. That night on Halloween E.T. is disguised as a ghost. Elliot bikes over to the forest and makes a call to E.T.'s home planet.




            ***SPOILER ALERT STOP HERE IF YOU DON'T WANT THE END RUINED***





Elliot falls asleep waiting for E.T.'s spaceship to come. When he wakes up he sees that E.T. is gone so he goes home. Elliot's family is worried when Elliot comes back. He tells Michael that E.T. is gone. Michael looks for E.T. and finds it in a ditch. Micheal takes E.T. home. Elliot's mom Mary (Dee Wallace) is scared by E.T. and to top it all off some government agents set up a medical facility in the house. The government agents try to help E.T. but E.T. dies(I always cry at this part). But then Elliot sees a dead plant that E.T. revived earlier in the movie coming back to life which means E.T is coming back to life. E.T. tells Elliot that the other E.T. aliens are coming so E.T. Elliot and Elliot's friends try to get to where the aliens land. They make it to the spaceship and E.T. returns home.The End



                                  ***SPOILERS OVER KEEP READING***


I love this movie. The design for E.T. is very creative. But it can be very sad in some parts which might make you cry. I also like the magical feel to it. This movie has the perfect combo of happy, sad, and just plain cute. I am looking forward to seeing it again sometime.

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my personal favorites, Keaton. This movie knows how to tug of your heart strings and each and every time I watch E.T. I cry very hard, but laugh once he sees his red heart light up. I must have seen this movie at least 15 times!!! The movie was originally released in 1980 in theaters then again in 1985. (In 1980, I was 9 years old and your mother took me.) In 1985, I remember going to the theater to see E.T. at least 12 different times with friends!!! I think I stopped counting after that. ;-) Did you know after 1985 the movie wasn't available until almost 20 years later? That is like 2 of your life times!!! Can you believe that?? I LOVED this movie and know it is the best science fiction film ever made!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of my favorite movies to. I can't believe you saw it 15 times, I think i only saw it 3 times. I didn't know that it wasn't available for 20 years. Thanks for following by blog I miss you.

      Delete