Wednesday 26 March 2014

Film Talk: Is Traditional Animation Dead

Hello welcome to a new part of my blog I like to call Film Talk. It is where I discus and debate about movies. I may only do it every once and a while or I may never do it again. Today's topic is: "Is traditional animation dead?" Let us begin.

My Opinion on Animation: I like animation. It can take you to all sots of places but it is expensive to draw. I think that computer animation is nice but is only good for animating non-human things. Like say bugs or monsters. When it animates humans it does tend to look very plastic. Good examples are the early Shrek movies or Hoodwinked. The technology has gotten better so it does look less plastic. But I think even as flat as traditional animation is it does come off as more three dimensional.




Foreign Films: There aren't that many traditionally animated movies in North America. But in other country's there are a lot of traditionally animated movies like AninA and The Triplets of Belleville. But the question is, will computer animation take over there as well? My answer is maybe, it doesn't seem to be going away. However there are a fair share of foreign computer animated films. So the only solid answer I can come up with is maybe.




Was Traditional Animation Just a Phase in the Industry: Maybe it was just something like silent films that was popular for a decent amount of time but was gradually replaced. However with silent films you are missing one of the five senses. So I don't think traditional animation was a phase; it is still alive in TV shows.



 Is Computer Animation Just a Phase in the Industry: Most fans of traditional animation will say yes. But even as an animation fan I will say no. Because some people thought that talking pictures would just be a fad and now almost every single movie coming out has sound. So it seems that computer animation is here to stay for now.






 Will It Make a Comeback: Probably not. Nowadays computer animated film seem to bring in more money. So most animated films are computer animated. So un
til some studio executive says "I want to make a traditionally animated film" we aren't going to get one. But things do make comebacks like handlebar mustaches. So maybe it will make a comeback but most likely no.



Conclusion: So really I have no idea if traditional animation is dead or not. It is mostly looking like it is. But foreign films and TV shows are keeping it alive. Honestly it looks like traditional animation is finished. But you can draw your own conclusion. This has been Film Talk.

MEL DOUGLAS AKA MR. WHAT ARE YOU WEARING


No comments:

Post a Comment